Tuesday 26 August 2008

Virgin Media

I signed up for Virgin Media`s "3 for £30" deal. I was somewhat surprised that is cost £54 per month. Now the ASA/Ofcom/FSA might all argue it is the others responcibility to enforce this but in my opinion the ASA and FSA have alot of other responcibilities. Ofcom made Virgin Media change its contract to suit Ofcoms current requirements then failed to ensure VM stuck to it.

Some examples:-
Direct Debit
I signed a direct debit agreement, or I would pay an extra £5 per month. I paid this £5 dispite them taking money out by direct debit month after month. I phone VM, they say it is because I am not paying via DD, I say I am and quote when they took money out of my account. VM customer services cannot access my account to confirm this, but neither can their accounts department. So I write a letter, knowing that as their code of practice they will respond within 48 hours. 6 letters in 8 months, still no reply.
It turns out that the "3 for £30" deal, that requires me to make one payement as the contract is actually with two seperate companies, i must pay both by DD. But I only get one bill, I only have one contract, I have queried it repeatedly and VM never admitted this to me before. The contract says I have to make one payment, not two. Maybe I am the only one to have messed this up? No. this is a standard stealth charge, one of many as below. VM only admitted this once they had disconnected me and were proceeding with legal action against me.

Itemised Bills
This was listed as a free service but I was charged £3.75 per month for this. BUT to VM`s credit they stated it was free in the code of practice - not the contract. I cannot enforce a code of practice, or take them to court for failing to follow it, only Ofcom can do this. Therefore I had to pay this additional charge.

Additional set top box
Before joining VM I phoned to get the cost of an additional set top box as I need two. I was quoted £9, but charged £15 per box. The cost is actually £15 with a £5.50 discount. To get the discount all you need to do is complain in writing. VM are aware they advertise £9.50 for the box, but charge £15 for as long as the customer lets them.

The Bill itself
I never managed to understand the bill from VM. Nothing has a simple price, it is all far more expensive than advertised and then discounted. No one within VM call centres could explain how my bill was made up, no one in accounts could either. A large percentage complain they are being overcharged. A huge website with everything on it, except an explaination of the bill. I believe this is delibrate. Ofcom say pricing is nothing to do with them, who can force VM to produce understandable bills?

Code Of Practice
VM ignored nearly their responcibilties under their own ofcom approved code of practice. This is unlikely to change until we get a new regulator.

Finally I had enough
In the end I wrote to VM, well I had written 6 letters previously and got no reply. I gave them the chance to either comply with the terms of my contract, or terminate my contract without penalty as clause 3c of the contract. This states I can cancel if VM change the terms of my contract. VM disconnected me without warning so I thought this was the end of it. Then the demands for £270 termination fee started, followed by threats of legal action and credit collection companies and threats that this would ruin my credit rating. In the end the ADR scheme CISAS got this £270 overturned and I got a £60 compensation. I would never go back to this brutally dishonest company. Ofcom should be ashamed for their failure to enforce the code, the contract, and the tariff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a pity. I signed up for Virgin Media's 3 for 30 package and I pay £30 for 3 services - they even chucked XL TV in for free