Friday 5 September 2008

Orange Broadband

I signed up for this in July 06. It was free with the phone, I phoned, checked the T&Cs, confirmed delievery wasnt by parcelfarce as they cant find my house, or my work, and ordered it.

I had no signal in my house on the phone so I cancelled. They cancelled the phone but said the broadband was already live so could only be cancelled for £270. So wheres the router i asked? They said it had already been delievered.

It had, but they had sent it via parcelfarce and had been delievered to the wrong address.
I had written on the order form "as agreed delievery not via parcelforce".

Any contract I had with Orange was null and void, they had already broken the contract. Plus I signed up for 8meg broadband, but Orange hadnt paid BT to upgrade from 2meg to 8meg so only suppling 2meg was false advertising.

Orange said the upgrade to 8meg would be done within 2 weeks, it was actually 10 months.
I left orange, refused to pay the £270 cancellation charge, and refused to pay the £85 extra charge for not returning the router I didnt have.
Last month I got a refund from Orange, 2 years to get my money back, no compensation for weeks without broadband.

OFCOM, this wasnt a contensious issue, Orange advertised 8meg when they could only supply 2meg, straight forward mis-selling. Ofcom did act, they waited another 10 months so all the contracts being disputed had already ended or were about to, and said Orange should not hold people to these contracts. I was lucky and had cancelled, everyone else had to pay for 8meg and only get 2meg for almost a year.
If Ofcom cant regulate a simple issue like this, what hope do we have for the advertised broadband speeds?

Oh yeah, I forgot. They have sorted it, a voluntry code practice. In an industry not known for its honesty, a unenforcible voluntry code?

No comments: